With a chronic illness, comes joint pain, body pain, and migraines. It becomes a marathon just to be able to sleep, due to the pain. It can get stressful when your body craves sleep, however, your body won’t let you catch some Z’s. With a chronic illness, your body needs the time to repair and heal itself. Over time, sleep loss can cause other damages to the body, like increase your risk for heart disease. Here are tips that can help you sleep better with pain insomnia.
- Find the correct temperature, according to your body. Don’t be too hot or too cold.
- Don’t have a heavy meal before bed.
- Try not to lay in bed until you’re ready to go to sleep.
- Try a slightly warm wash cloth on your neck or over your eyes. It may relax you.
- Avoid caffeinated products tea, coffee, soda, and chocolate.
- If you can’t sleep, get up and walk a bit, then go back to bed.
- If you can’t sleep in silence turn a little music on instead of the T.V. or it could distract you from going to sleep.
- Try meditation.
- Try to set your phone in a place you can’t easily reach, so it won’t distract you from trying to sleep.
- Don’t exercise before bed. Your body needs time to unwind.
- Expose yourself to light during the day.
- Avoid daytime napping.
Having a chronic illness is stressful enough, let alone not being able to sleep. Your body needs time to rest, heal, and repair itself. I hope these tips will help you to be able to get some sleep through the pain. Remember, stay strong, keep fighting, and always remain positive. ❤
*DISCLAIMER* this blog is not here to treat or diagnose. Please see a doctor if you can’t sleep or follow your doctor’s plan. These are just tips to hopefully help you!